rsync mirror solution: how to prevent accidental mirror deletion

David Overton david at overtons.id.au
Thu Jul 29 18:57:40 MDT 2010

Hi Rahul,

I have two suggestions:
1. Use --max-delete option to limit the amount of damage that can be
done when this happens.
2. Add some redundancy to your backup by keeping multiple past backups
and rotating between them.  You can use --link-dest to allow sharing
of unchanged files between backups.  A set of perl scripts called
rsnapshot (http://www.rsnapshot.org/) makes this easy to set up.

David