First Time Using Rsync

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Fri Jul 23 14:47:38 MDT 2010

On 24.07.2010 06:29, Alex Ferrara wrote:

> On 23/07/2010, at 10:42 PM, Carlos Mennens <carlos.mennens at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I did a search on the web and there are so many different methods /
> > variations of using this powerful tool. My question for you guys is
> > very simple and I would like to hear from people on the list who use
> > this daily what the best command would be to transfer all data from
> > one server (srv_old) to my newly build server (srv_new)?
> >
> > I have one directory "/home" which contains everyone's mailbox & email
> > which I want to rsync from 'srv_old' to 'srv_new'. I am just looking
> > for the fastest and most secure method of doing something like this:
> >
> > rsync -avz ssh /home/ root at srv_new:/home
> >
> > Thanks for any help!
> > --
>
> The short answer is
>
> rsync -avz /home/ root at srv_new:/home/

And, if not already done, you should sync /etc/password (and /etc/group)
before you do the rsync, otherwise rsync can't match the owners/groups.
(See long description of "--owner" in the man-page)

But another run after fixing that is also no problem, rsync will then
fix the meta-data. Or, if you are sure the (U/G)IDs will be the same at
some point in the future, you can run rsync with "--numeric-ids".

Bis denn