First Time Using Rsync

Jeff Cleverley jeff.cleverley at avagotech.com
Fri Jul 23 14:47:02 MDT 2010

Carlos,

I didn't see what environment you are doing this in.  If it is a unix
environment you may also want to include the -H option.  This
preserves hard links.  Some applications use these quite a bit.  This
most likely would not be an issue for home directories.

Jeff

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Alex Ferrara <alex at receptiveit.com.au> wrote:

> On 23/07/2010, at 10:42 PM, Carlos Mennens <carlos.mennens at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I did a search on the web and there are so many different methods /
>> variations of using this powerful tool. My question for you guys is
>> very simple and I would like to hear from people on the list who use
>> this daily what the best command would be to transfer all data from
>> one server (srv_old) to my newly build server (srv_new)?
>>
>> I have one directory "/home" which contains everyone's mailbox & email
>> which I want to rsync from 'srv_old' to 'srv_new'. I am just looking
>> for the fastest and most secure method of doing something like this:
>>
>> rsync -avz ssh /home/ root at srv_new:/home
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>> --
>
> The short answer is
>
> rsync -avz /home/ root at srv_new:/home/
>
> a - Archive. Very important to preserve permissions, and it also recurses the directory
> v - Verbose. Heavy output to stdout which is probably what you want if you are watching it
> z - Gzip compression on the fly
>
> You will be asked for a password and srv_new needs to allow root logins for this to work.
>
> If you are scripting this for backup purposes either set up public key authentication or an rsync server on the destination to avoid the prompted password.
>
> aF
> --

Jeff Cleverley
Unix Systems Administrator