Behavioral differences between versions.

Jeff Cleverley jeff.cleverley at avagotech.com
Thu Jul 22 12:42:05 MDT 2010

Paul,

Thanks for the information.  I'll see what I can find in the NEWS and
OLDNEWS.  Hopefully that will give me what I'm looking for on most of
the questions.

Am I correct in my assumption that Redhat does not tweak the rsync it
ships with its distribution?

Thanks,

Jeff

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Paul Slootman <paul+rsync at wurtel.net> wrote:
> On Wed 21 Jul 2010, Jeff Cleverley wrote:
>>
>> 1.  When using the -z option, does rsync actually use
>> /usr/bin/compress or does it use gzip?  The man pages say it
>> compresses data but doesn't specify what it compresses with.
>
> It uses the gzip algorithm but implements it internally; it doesn't call
> any external program. That wouldn't be at all practical on a
> communication link which is effectively interactive (one side sends
> data, the other side reacts).
>
>> 2.  I was looking for detailed documentation on behavioral changes of
>> arguments between rsync versions.
>
> I suggest examining the NEWS and OLDNEWS files in the rsync source.
>

> Paul
> --

Jeff Cleverley
Unix Systems Administrator