Linux, rsync files excluding open/busy files

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Wed Jul 14 05:24:44 MDT 2010

On 14.07.2010 12:06, bvidinli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read many posts about this, faq, googled, and finally got to write here.
>
> The scenario/question is this:
> I want to transfer files from Server B -> Server C
> the problem is that, files that are to be transfered may be open/busy,
> meaing they are "not still complete, " or they are open while rsync is
> run.
>
> Is there a way to automatically handle these open files using rsync ,
> rsync options ?
> I mean, It should be like " copy/rsync files to Server C, but exclude
> 'already open' files"
>
> I can handle this using lsof and excluding files individually, but, I
> would rather prefer rsync handles this automatically.
>
> If this feature is not present in rsync, I ask developers: this would
> be a very nice feature, something like "rsync --exclude-open-files
> sourcefiles dest/"

I personally would also like such a feature.

Altough i think somthing mtime based should suffice.
Something like "--min-age=60s", mtime has to be at least 60 seconds in
the past. And i would restrict that to "real files", IOW
directories/symlinks and so forth can't be "too new".

And maybe an option for selecting if the min-age shall be relative to
the point in time the file is 'stat'ed or relative to the point in time
rsync was started.

Bis denn