old files not getting deleted

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Feb 18 16:15:25 MST 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Henri Shustak wrote:

>>> Maybe you are getting an I/O error.  By default, rsync skips all
>>> deletion of destination files when it gets an I/O error on the source,
>>> to avoid erroneous deletion of destination files if the I/O error caused
>>> them to be omitted from the file list.  (This is a very blunt measure
>>> and making it more granular would be a good enhancement request, but
>>> really the user should address the cause of the I/O errors.)  Look at
>>> rsync's output to stderr, and also look for a message "IO error
>>> encountered -- skipping file deletion".
>>
>> There are always a few errors, like "file disappeared" and the like
>> since this is a live system (and mailboxes no less, where content is
>> always changing).
>
> You may wrap rsync with a wrapper as outlined at the link below.
> However, keep in mind that you may actually want to be told about such
> errors The wrapper could be altered meet your requirements :
>
> http://www.lbackup.org/developer/ignore_vanished_file_warnings

I'm not sure that will work - it's a wrapper so it can't alter how rsync
decides what to delete, right?  The process of bailing on any deletes when
an error is encountered is internal to rsync, correct?

>> 2010/02/16 01:24:20 [87560] rsync:
>> readlink_stat("/spool/jails/mailbak.example.net/home/vpopmail/domains/example.net/A/spec/Maildir/new/1248843513.66447.example.net")
>> failed: Bad file descriptor (9) 2010/02/16 01:24:20 [87560] rsync:
>> readlink_stat("/spool/jails/mailbak.example.net/home/vpopmail/domains/example.net/A/spec/Maildir/new/1183175697.M407633P83781V00020D07I00573A16_0.example.net,S=19682")
>> failed: Bad file descriptor (9)
>>
>> 2010/02/17 01:23:36 [91479] rsync: opendir "/spool/jails/mailbak.example.net/dev/fd/3" failed: Bad file descriptor (9)
>
> After looking at the output on your system listed above, it looks like
> the wrapper at the link listed above may not cover your issue. Perhaps
> you have a different version of rsync or maybe there is a problem with
> your file system?

I have some ideas what the "bad file descriptor" is about, and in this
case, I believe it's akin to the "missing file" issue.

Thanks,

Charles