rsync --link-dest, --delete and hard-link count

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 18:38:44 MST 2010

> Rsync would then need an extra option to enable it to report such
> "deleted" files, because I sure don't need that nor do I need the extra
> overhead that encurs.

I agree.

If deletion reporting is to become part of rsync (when invoked with the dest option --link-dest option), then I would suggest that an additional option is used to enable this deletion reporting.

The additional option for such reporting should be required because, rsync is not deleting anything.