Rsync preserve owner/permissions

Mauro Depaoli mauro.depaoli at thermosash.co.nz
Tue Sep 15 16:33:58 MDT 2009

Hello

I have setup a mirror script on our network, and I have some problem to
preserve ownership of the files transferred.
This problem is causing me a bit of headache as this file transfer is
for some production file, where if there is not the right
permission/ownership the program crashes, and it keep crashing.
I am overcoming the problem by defining manually the ownership as
'Administrator' once the files are transferred.

I have two Window client/server, setup as follow:

both machine with RSYNC, setup as service, with LogOnAs, "rsync" setup
on each machine (NO domain user)

Allowed 'rsync' on fullpermissions on both machine, under the path
defined. (receiver under destination path)

A) Windows 2003 STD server
Rsync server (Sender)

rsync.conf:
use chroot = false
strict modes = false
hosts allow = *
log file = rsyncd.log
[test]
path = /cygdrive/c/test
read only = false
transfer logging = yes

script:
rsync.exe -aruphtz --stats --delete-after
--log-file=/cygdrive/d/tclsys/log/rsync/up_cnc_chch.log
/cygdrive/d/CNC/CPHANTOMATIC/CAM/LDA/
rsync at 192.168.5.15::up_cnc/phantomatic/cam/lda

B) Windows XP PRO
Rsync server (Receiver)

rsync.conf:
use chroot = false
strict modes = false
hosts allow = *
log file = rsyncd.log
[up_cnc]
path = /cygdrive/d/data/cncmachines
read only = false
transfer logging = yes
log file = /cygdrive/d/tclsys/logs/rsync/up_cnc.log

I have tried to use
CYGWIN=nontsec
CYGWIN=ntsec
'rsync.exe -aruphtz'
'rsync.exe -arupoghtz'
'rsync.exe -arpEuhtz'
'rsync.exe -arupoghtz'

but I still have some problem to have the same owner.

Please help me to resolve this issue or misconfiguration.

Many Thanks
Grazie

Mauro Depaoli
IT Technician

for and on behalf of
THERMOSASH COMMERCIAL LTD

41 Poland Road, Glenfield, Auckland, NZ
PO Box 100-340 NSMC, Auckland, NZ
E: mauro.depaoli at thermosash.co.nz
P: +64 9 444 4944
F: +64 9 444 4886
W: www.thermosash.co.nz

AUCKLAND   -   WELLINGTON   -   CHRISTCHURCH

CAUTION: The information contained in this e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may be legally privileged. Drawings and attachments may be subject to Copyright. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message or accompanying material is prohibited.  Views expressed are those of the sender and may not represent the views of the Company. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message and any accompanying material.
Thermosash may monitor incoming and outgoing emails for compliance with its Email Policy. Thank you