how to use rsync installed on network

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Tue Sep 8 11:03:10 MDT 2009

On 08.09.2009 13:42, e-letter wrote:
> On 07/09/2009, Matt McCutchen <matt at mattmccutchen.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 23:22 +0100, e-letter wrote:
> >> Scenario: file.txt on local machine, to be transferred to remote host.
> >> Remote host has rsync installed. Reading the manual I the examples
> >> describe scenarios where rsync is installed on the local machine. Is
> >> rsync suitable to use when installed on the remote host?
> >
> > To do a remote transfer, rsync needs to be installed on both the local
> > host and the remote host.
> >
> This is not stated in the manual.

man rsync
Last sentence of "Setup" paragraph:
Note that rsync must be installed on both the source and destination machines.

> Using rsync on the remote host, what is the command syntax to transfer
> a local machine file to the remote machine?

man-Page: Synopsis:

      Access via remote shell:
         Pull: rsync [OPTION...] [USER@]HOST:SRC... [DEST]
         Push: rsync [OPTION...] SRC... [USER@]HOST:DEST

Simplest form:
rsync file target:

But taking SSH for granted (which is more or less synonymous for
remote-rsync (without a demon)). 'scp' is the tool for simple
file-copies (No syncing, straight whole-file copying).

scp file target:

Note that in this whole discussion NFS/Samba and/or similar don't count
as remote, they count as local!
(If you e.g. have access to a rsync-binary via NFS, you can directly
start if it is compatible with your machine and the mount of the
NFS-Share allows executing binarys.)

Bis denn