bugs in version 3.1

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Oct 24 16:32:50 MDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Carlos Carvalho <carlos at fisica.ufpr.br>wrote:

> The first is that when running with --files-from and -ii unmodified
> files are not put in the log.

That is not a logging issue, but rather an early-termination issue due to a
protocol problem when speaking protocol 30.

> rsync: io.c:990: start_filesfrom_forwarding: Assertion
> `(iobuf.out_empty_len != 0)' failed.

That bug showed that the --files-from data-shipping code needed to handle a
non-multiplexed socket for protocol 29.

I did some work on backward-compatibility issues between --files-from and
the new I/O code, and I fixed quite a few bugs (both new and old), including
the two above.  I think that --files-from should be in good shape now.

Some of my recently fixes were in the area of iconv (including iconv
translations of files-from data).  There were a few things I discovered that
weren't handled right in all prior versions of rsync that the latest
3.1.0dev will now handle correctly (such as properly translating a
multi-byte character that spans the end of a read buffer).