Stability of rsync 3.1.0dev (Re: Does files-from work with --delete?)

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Nov 13 11:17:15 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 08:38 -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Philip Pokorny
> <ppokorny at penguincomputing.com> wrote:
>         How confident are you in the current state of 3.1.0.pre and
>         the nightly snapshots?  Should I be concerned about running
>         this on production data?
>
> Personally, I'm almost ready to start using it in production.  The
> 3.1.0dev code prior to the I/O changes was in production-ready shape,
> and the I/O overhaul has been testing well so far (I use it for all
> the personal rsyncing needs).  Any failure cases from the I/O code
> should result in the stopping of the transfer, not some kind of
> corruption, and I haven't found anything in quite a while.

3.1.0dev needs to win back my trust after a bad experience trying to do
a backup a few weeks ago.  First I got an out-of-space error that rsync
didn't report:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2009-November/024135.html

And once I freed up disk space, I got an "unexpected tag 50" (I think),
which I held off on reporting pending a reproducible case.  I haven't
had a chance to try another backup with 3.1.0dev yet.

--
Matt