--fuzzy search over to-be-deleted files to catch moved files and directories

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Nov 10 10:13:09 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 17:55 +0100, H. Langos wrote:
> Now the question is, if fuzzy search could be extended to search for
> moved files across directory borders. If for example I move pictures
> aound to reorganize them in a different directory hierarchy, or if I
> move whole directories around as I reorganize part of my music files.

Consider the --detect-renamed option provided by the maintained patch
"detect-renamed.diff".  It will find moved files that match exactly
according to the "quick check" in effect (size + mtime or checksum).  It
doesn't calculate name similarity like --fuzzy because that would be
prohibitively expensive in the current implementation.

--
Matt