How to emulate rdiff behaviour

Daniel.Li daniel_li at usish.com
Sun May 31 09:08:04 GMT 2009

Dear Wayne,
Excellent, that's really what I have expected!

Is it stable now? Cause I have found that this feature seems to be
unstable before ver 3.0.6.

- Fixed a --read-batch hang when rsync is reading a batch file that was
      created from an incremental-recursion transfer.

http://samba.anu.edu.au/ftp/rsync/src/rsync-3.0.6-NEWS

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 23:48 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:32:16AM -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> > - Each day, generate a reverse batch (by running rsync in the reverse
> > direction with --only-write-batch) and then update the destination file.
>
> In order to avoid any inconsistency between the files when the reverse
> run is done and when the backup copy is done, you could use a second
> full backup copy (though someone using something like LVM could use
> snapshots instead).
>
> To be explicit, a two-dir method would start by duplicating the backup
> dir (let's assume to a separate host, though it would also work without
> "bhost:" in all these commands):
>
>     rsync -av /backup/ bhost:/backup2/
>
> Then a backup operation would be:
>
>     rsync -av srchost:/src/ /backup/
>     rsync -av --only-write-batch=/batches/$DATE bhost:/backup2/ /backup/
>     rsync -av /backup/ bhost:/backup2/

And one more thing here:
If you are going to prepare this batch file, it seems there will be double the workload of network, see below statements? Is that right?

--
Daniel Li