How to emulate rdiff behaviour

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sun May 31 18:34:03 GMT 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 17:08 +0800, Daniel.Li wrote:
> Dear Wayne,
> Excellent, that's really what I have expected!
>
> Is it stable now? Cause I have found that this feature seems to be
> unstable before ver 3.0.6.
>
> - Fixed a --read-batch hang when rsync is reading a batch file that was
>       created from an incremental-recursion transfer.
>
> http://samba.anu.edu.au/ftp/rsync/src/rsync-3.0.6-NEWS

We can never guarantee stability (no warranty, etc.).  Normally I would
encourage you to try it and report back if you run into trouble, but I
realize that isn't acceptable if you're relying on being able to recover
from previously created batch files.  In this case, I would recommend
that you disable incremental recursion with --no-i-r when generating the
batch files.  Incremental recursion was a far-reaching change that has
had and is still having a lot of fallout, including the bug you cited.
I raised concern about this in the lead-up to rsync 3.0.0, but the
prevailing opinion seemed to be that we should go ahead and make it the
default and deal with any bugs as they arose:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2007-July/018024.html

> And one more thing here:
> If you are going to prepare this batch file, it seems there will be double the workload of network, see below statements? Is that right?
>
> > rsync -av --only-write-batch=/batches/$DATE bhost:/backup2/ /backup/
> > rsync -av /backup/ bhost:/backup2/

Not if you put /backup and /backup2 on the same machine by dropping the
"bhost:" from those commands, as Wayne mentioned.  He included it just
to point out the possibility of having those dirs on different machines.

--
Matt