rsync questions

gahn ipfreak at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 19:36:00 GMT 2009

Hi all:

I got basic rsync working (not server mode). Basically it went to another server via ssh, backed up subdireactories and stored on the local server. But I am trying to use the feature of "exclude" and could not get it working rigjt.

I am trying to back up /export/home/* (all of users) on another machine but exclude a certain types of files. here is one of my tested exclude files:

/home/unwanted_dir

this one works. rsync successfully backed up other directories except the "unwanted_dir"

But how could I get rsync search the patterns of files in those user directories and exclude them?

Thanks