rsync --daemon. Can I open more than one instances?

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunky.net
Mon Jun 8 19:55:10 GMT 2009

Rahul Nabar wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Daniel.Li<daniel_li at usish.com> wrote:
>
>> I think multi-client can improve performance, but limit is the same as
>> above.
>
> I don't think I understand! Can I start more than one "rsync --daemon"
> instances then?
>

>> What kind of performance you are concerning, network/cpu/ram/disk
>> IO ....?
>
> cpu/ram/disk in this  case I guess. I don't know if I can change much
> about my network!

I think Daniel was trying to say, cpu might not be the bottleneck, it could
be network or something else (I doubt it's memory rsync 3 pretty much solved
that for most) and if you ask me it's probably disk.

If you're not using different partitions on different disks, then doing
anything in parallel is probably going to slow it down (reading/writing
all over the disk, means more seektime, which means waiting).

Otherwise, if it's seperate disks, why not start several, possible with -x
option, which will confine it to one partition.