rsync --daemon. Can I open more than one instances?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 03:39:01 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Leen Besselink<leen at consolejunky.net> wrote:
> I think Daniel was trying to say, cpu might not be the bottleneck, it could
> be network or something else (I doubt it's memory rsync 3 pretty much solved
> that for most) and if you ask me it's probably disk.

Ah! I see. Thanks for the clarifiction Leon!

> If you're not using different partitions on different disks, then doing
> anything in parallel is probably going to slow it down (reading/writing
> all over the disk, means more seektime, which means waiting).

No, its just a single partition. But the "single disk" is a hardware
RAID5 at one end. (The other backup end is a SATA drive)

Is it still pretty much typical that the disk is the bottleneck? Not
CPU/memory etc.?

In spite of the diff computation etc. does disk seek remain the
bottleneck usually.

--
Rahul