rsync --daemon. Can I open more than one instances?

Daniel.Li daniel_li at usish.com
Thu Jun 4 05:09:23 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 20:57 -0500, Rahul Nabar wrote:
> Is there a way to speed up rsync by opening more than one daemon in
> parallel.

daemon will create a process when a connection is established. So the
limit is hardware.

> I use rsync --daemon to start rsync. I was wondering if
> opening more than one instance is recommended or feasible?

I think multi-client can improve performance, but limit is the same as
above.

> I know that
> for services like nfs for example I have had opening many instances
> improve performance.

What kind of performance you are concerning, network/cpu/ram/disk
IO ....?

> I have 4 cores available

It seems good :)

> so if there are any other parallization modes
> I'd be glad to know since I need to backup ~800GB data every day.

Rsync can backup only differs. I think you can use this feature.

--
Daniel Li