Local disk rsync

dragonmc77 dragonmc77 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 15:12:08 GMT 2009

listserv.traffic wrote:

>> Only copying changed files is *exactly* what ROBOCOPY is designed for.
>> This is even the default behavior. It uses
>> filename+size+modification_time to determine if two files are the
>> same. ROBOCOPY also has an enromous number of logging options.
>
> This discussion is diverged widely, but I felt it important to
> complete this thought...
>
> ---
> Can you point me to where this is stated in the docs? (In my reading
> of the docs and related items, robocopy was to be a "better" xcopy.
> And xcopy never was a sync tool. It was a mass-directory/file
> copier.)
>
> I simply can't find it documented ANYWHERE, even in MS's own
> documents, wikipedia or anywhere else - that ROBOCOPY will only copy
> newer files.
>
> It will delete orphans on the destination side [with /MIR] which will
> help keep things in sync, but this isn't the "only copy changed files"
> I need.
>
> Many of the other options don't seem to make much sense [/XO, /XN
> etc.] from a tool which is intended as a one way sync tool.
>
> So, perhaps I've not read the documentation clearly [and I thought
> man pages often sucked, but MS's tech-net docs are abysmal on
> Robocopy] but if so, please indicate where this is documented so I
> can stand corrected and others on this list can at least know it's an
> option.
>
> TIA
> -Greg
>
> --

Robocopy works by comparing modified times on the source and destination
files based on the switch(es) you specify.  If you ran a Robocopy from a
source folder to a destination folder with /xo switch, you are basically
telling the utility to copy only "newer" files to the destination (i.e.
files with modified times that are more recent than those found in the
destination, and of course, files that don't already exist in the
destination at all).  In this case, only files that have been changed since
your last Robocopy would be copied.

This is not clearly explained in the Robocopy release notes/help file.