rsync with --copy-devices patch and device-target with --write-batch doesnt work

freisei forum at xp8.de
Fri Jan 30 12:12:05 GMT 2009

Matt McCutchen schrieb:
> Freisei, please CC rsync at lists.samba.org so that others can help you and
> your messages are archived for others' future benefit.
>
> On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 12:08 +0100, Freisei wrote:
>
>> Matt McCutchen schrieb:
>>
>>> In the
>>> meantime, you can strace rsync to see how the write(2) call is failing.
>>>
>> How can i do this? Or where can i get infos to learn how to do it?
>>

> Run:
>
> strace -f -o rsync.strace ./rsync ...
>
> Then post the last 100 lines or so of the rsync.strace file, and I
> should be able to see what is happening.  For more about the strace
> command, see its man page.
>
> Incidentally, see if you have enough disk space to hold the batch file.
> If not, that would explain the error you are getting.

Hello again,

i?ve found the problem.
"./rsync -v --copy-devices --progress
--write-batch=/mnt/sdc1/snapshotvergleich/diff1
/mnt/sdc1/snapshotvergleich/xp8main3-mnt-backup-base.img
/dev/vg0/xp8main3-mnt-backup-1"
creates a diff1-file which has nearly the size of
/mnt/sdc1/snapshotvergleich/xp8main3-mnt-backup-base.img because rsync
with --copy-devices-param does not work as expected when a device is the
target.

So my filesystem was overfilled and "rsync error: error in file IO (code
11) at io.c(1565) [sender=3.1.0dev]" occured.

My next question:

Is it possible to tell rsync to treat a device-target lika a file?

greets - freisei