file compression on target side

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 21:14:26 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Mag Gam <magawake at gmail.com> wrote:

> ZFS on fuse is just too slow. I suppose I will wait for ZFS on Linux
> (pipe dream) or try to switch to Solaris 10 on x86

There will never be ZFS in the Linux kernel because of license
incompatibilites. The linux answer to ZFS is btrfs, which is still in
development, and not much of an answer in my opinion ;-).

Also, there does not appear to be any "stock" linux kernel filesystem
that supports transparent compression read/write. SquashFS is
read-only. What Linux distribution are you using? It might bundle a
patch or other filesystems.

I would suggest trying gzip --rsyncable. Compress the files with gzip
--rsyncable at the source, and rsync should be able to find
significant matches (especially for updates of log files).
--
RPM