rsync speed on slow wireless links

Max Arnold lwarxx at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 02:04:04 MST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:04:20AM -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Max Arnold <lwarxx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > in my tests rsync often stalls
> > for 3-5 minutes, while wget stalls only for several seconds and then continues download.

Installed rsync-3.1dev snapshot from 20091222 on both sides of the link and played with it
about hour or so. Results are much better, data transfer is more smooth, without long stalls
resulting in timeouts. To be precise, timeouts still occur but they are rare and probably
related to wireless link drops, so nothing can be improved. Will do more experiments.

Also with 3.1dev I don't see --timeout problem as with 3.0.7pre1.

Is it worth to try development version in production or it is better to wait for stabilization?