rsync returns unexplained error (code 129)

Joris Korbeeck korbeeck at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 15:18:41 GMT 2008

 I synchronized two backup servers within a local network which worked fluently, using rsync with the following parameters:

rsync    --archive \
    --hard-links \
    --delete \
    --rsh="ssh -i $key_file" \
    --copy-dest=/var/lib/backuppc \
    --compress-level=9 \
    --stats \
    --human-readable \
    --partial-dir=.rsync-partial \
    --bwlimit=$bwlimit \
    /var/lib/backuppc \
    $dest_host:$dir_name

 Althoug when I try to synchronize using the same command over the internet (port mapping is enabled for SSH) the synchronization process starts, but terminates after about one or half an hour and returns the following error message:

"rsync error: unexplained error (code 129) at rsync.c(541) [sender=3.0.3]"

 Could anyone explain this error or suggest a solution?

Thanks in advance,
Joris