Intermittent connection failure

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Nov 26 02:49:50 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 12:28 +0100, Michael Härtl wrote:
> I think i've nailed it down now to some nameserver problem on the rsync
> server. Is it correct that rsync tries to do some reverse lookup on
> every client connect? It seems to me that the rsync server's nameserver
> had some connection issues and rsyncd stalled when trying to do the lookup.

The daemon does a reverse lookup and then a forward lookup to confirm
the client's IP address and hostname in case they need to be checked
against the "hosts allow" or "hosts deny" parameters.  Perhaps it should
skip the lookups if "hosts allow" and "hosts deny" are both unset.

> I've now included all client hosts into /etc/hosts on the server and the
> problem seems to be gone now.
>
> Does that sound plausible?

Yes, that makes sense.

Matt