v3.0.4 OS X Execution Errors

Jonathan S. Abrams hociman at comcast.net
Sat Nov 8 05:44:13 GMT 2008

Hello,

I have compiled v3.0.4 of rsync per
http://www.bombich.com/mactips/rsync.html.  Unfortunately, I can't get
rsync v3.0.4 to work properly.

If I execute this command on the target Mac, I receive this error.

sudo rsync -An --progress --log-file=docs_transfer
server.domain.com:/Volumes/File_Storage/docs /Volumes/File_Storage

rsync: on remote machine: -vnpAe.Ls: unknown option
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at
/SourceCache/rsync/rsync-24/rsync/main.c(1099)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at 90.c(632)
[receiver=3.0.4]

Now, I thought I would just execute the same command in the opposite
direction (from source Mac), but I receive an error there as well.

rsync: on remote machine: -vnpA3.s: unknown option
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at
/SourceCache/rsync/rsync-35.2/rsync/main.c(1333) [server=2.6.9]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(632)
[sender=3.0.4]

A Google search reveals this is (allegedly) related to one of the
versions not matching, but executing rsync --version on both systems
results in v3.0.4 being reported.  Any ideas as to what might be going
on here?  Do I have to remove the Apple supplied rsync to get this
working?  Is there some way to force both Macs to use v3.0.4, even
though they are reporting that as the loaded version?  I see the second
error indicates a Mac is using v2.6.9, even though it shouldn't be.

Thanks for reading!

-Jonathan