v3.0.4 OS X Execution Errors

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat Nov 8 06:45:18 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 00:44 -0500, Jonathan S. Abrams wrote:
> I have compiled v3.0.4 of rsync per
> http://www.bombich.com/mactips/rsync.html.  Unfortunately, I can't get
> rsync v3.0.4 to work properly.
>
> If I execute this command on the target Mac, I receive this error.
>
> sudo rsync -An --progress --log-file=docs_transfer
> server.domain.com:/Volumes/File_Storage/docs /Volumes/File_Storage
>
> rsync: on remote machine: -vnpAe.Ls: unknown option
> rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at
> /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-24/rsync/main.c(1099)
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at 90.c(632)
> [receiver=3.0.4]
>
> Now, I thought I would just execute the same command in the opposite
> direction (from source Mac), but I receive an error there as well.
>
> rsync: on remote machine: -vnpA3.s: unknown option
> rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at
> /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-35.2/rsync/main.c(1333) [server=2.6.9]
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(632)
> [sender=3.0.4]
>
> A Google search reveals this is (allegedly) related to one of the
> versions not matching, but executing rsync --version on both systems
> results in v3.0.4 being reported.  Any ideas as to what might be going
> on here?  Do I have to remove the Apple supplied rsync to get this
> working?  Is there some way to force both Macs to use v3.0.4, even
> though they are reporting that as the loaded version?  I see the second
> error indicates a Mac is using v2.6.9, even though it shouldn't be.

Probably commands executed over ssh (such as the remote rsync) get a
different $PATH than your interactive session, and the old rsync is
first in this $PATH.  To fix that, specify the location of the rsync
executable you want to use on the remote side using the --rsync-path
option.  This issue is similar to http://rsync.samba.org/FAQ.html#8 .

Matt