Problem with extended ACLs in 3.0.4?

Andrew Gideon c182driver1 at gideon.org
Sun Nov 2 21:31:57 GMT 2008

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:10:23 -0500, Matt McCutchen wrote:

[...]
> guess one could still make the argument that the ACLs should be copied
> exactly.

That would be my assertion.  Regardless of the reason for the mask being
present - added by the user or required by the file system - the default
behavior of -A should be to copy the mask (and all the rest) faithfully.

> I found a bigger problem: rsync seems to use the mask permissions as the
> group permissions, potentially granting undesired access.

Yes!  Just to confirm: I get the same result when I run this test.

[...]

> http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2006-October/016400.html
>
> I'll have to reread that thread.

Small world.  That was a previous attempt to rejoin the users of the
public rsync version.

	- Andrew