(CPAN src exclusion problem)

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri May 30 16:48:57 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 10:00 -0600, lewis butler wrote:
> On 28-May-2008, at 05:28, David Favor wrote:
> > /usr/bin/rsync -av --delete --exclude '/src/***'
>
> why all the *?

A trailing triple star makes the rule match /src/ and everything under
it, which is overkill in this case but doesn't hurt anything.

> -exclude="src/" is what I've used in the past
>
> /src/ would imply that src is at the root of your system, which seem
> unlikely.

No, the leading slash refers to the root of the file list for the
current run of rsync, which is exactly what David wants.  For the root
of the filesystem, use --filter='-/ /src/'.

Matt