rsync, OpenSolaris, & Mac Attributes?

Jeff Waddell jeff at jeffawaddell.com
Fri May 23 01:31:42 GMT 2008

I only have one rsync version (3.0.3 pre2) on the Solaris target. I ran a
--version on both systems, and noticed that the Solaris version reports the
following capabilities: "ACLs, no xattrs, no symtimes, no file-flags" where
the Mac reports "ACLs, xattrs, symtimes, file-flags." This would explain why
rsync is failing when calling the extra -X & --fileflags feature flags
(although not -A for ACLs). I guess my question now would be are xattrs and
file-flags completely unsupported in rsync on Solaris, or does something
special have to be called when compiling rsync in order to enable them?
 Also, what could be going on with ACL support? I've reposted my error
messages below Thanks!
-Jeff

*When calling --fileflags:*

$ sudo /usr/local/bin/rsync -azx -H -e ssh "/Users/Documents"
"user at server:/Target_Directory/"
--exclude-from=/Users/.rsync/exclude --delete-excluded --fileflags
--protect-args --progress --dry-run

rsync: on remote machine: --fileflags: unknown option

rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(1484)
[server=3.0.3pre2]

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635)
[sender=3.0.3pre2]

*When calling -A (ACL's):*

$ sudo /usr/local/bin/rsync -azx -HA -e ssh "/Users/Documents"
"user at server:/target_directory/"
--exclude-from=/Users/.rsync/exclude --delete-excluded --protect-args
--progress --dry-run

sending incremental file list

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes [sender]: Broken pipe (32)

recv_acl_access: value out of range: 8000

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at acls.c(670)
[receiver=3.0.3pre2]

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635)
[sender=3.0.3pre2]

*Rsync run with -X (extended attributes):*

$ sudo /usr/local/bin/rsync -azx -HX -e ssh "/Users/Documents"
"user at server:/Target_Directory/"
--exclude-from=/Users/.rsync/exclude --delete-excluded --protect-args
--progress --dry-run

rsync: extended attributes are not supported on this server

rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(1422)
[server=3.0.3pre2]

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635)
[sender=3.0.3pre2]

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Giuliano Gavazzi
<dev+lists at humph.com<dev%2Blists at humph.com>>