SSL/TLS support in RSYNC

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon May 19 23:14:13 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 11:26 +0200, Bruno (libvirt) wrote:
> What are the plans to implement TLS directly into the mainstream rsync?
> This would be a huge improvement, when using rsync with a daemon and
> modules-based setup.
>
> It's already easy to tunnel rsync into ssh, but this requires
> 1) ssh-user and shell access
> 2) to specify the full remote path
> 3) to forget about all the nifty features of rsyncd.conf (uid/gid,
> ip-filtering, easy logging...)
> If you know about any plan for the inegration of SSL/TLS... maybe the
> CVS/SVN version has this already, please be kind and let me know.

There is a patch that is supposed to add SSL support:
	http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/patches/openssl-support.diff
and some discussion of improving it:
	http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2007-April/017578.html
but my impression is that the patch doesn't work and hasn't been fixed.

You could access the daemon through stunnel.  Another option is to use a
single-use daemon invoked over ssh, with a forced command (rsync
--server --daemon .) that limits the ssh login to invoking the daemon;
see section "USING RSYNC-DAEMON FEATURES VIA A REMOTE-SHELL CONNECTION"
in the man page.  That gives you modules and logging right away.  If you
need a uid/gid different from the ssh user's, you could run a
traditional daemon that listens only on localhost and have the ssh login
force a connection to that daemon, or you could just use ssh port
forwarding.

Matt