RSync from NAS machine over WinXP with cwRSync to another PC

Stuart Halliday StuartH at ecs-tech.com
Thu May 15 12:42:26 GMT 2008

> Hello,
> some people want to use the following construction:
>
> they have a NAS machine with an integrated rsync  (may be on embedded
> linux).
>
> they have a WinXP with cwRsyncServer (with rsync 3.0.2)
>
> and they have on WinXP a network share (i.e. Y:
> == "//192.168.100.123/sharename")
>
> They can use NAS / WinXP with cwRsync to copy files from NAS to a local
> path
> on the WinXP machine.
>
> But how to configure it, if they want to copy to Y: ?

You just need to set up a Windows network drive to the NAS share and use
that drive letter.

I do this to backup files from Windows 2003 to a NAS.

Batch file runs on XP.

set cygwin=notnsec
NET USE q: /DELETE
NET USE q: \\nasdevice\files <passwd> /USER:<nasuser> /PERSISTENT:NO

rsync -rDPt --chmod=Du+rwx,Fu+rwx --delete --modify-window=3601
/cygdrive/d/Users/ /cygdrive/q/Users

I even use MS shadow tools to copy open files on 2003.
See my files:
http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/files/pc/save_profile.zip

--
Stuart Halliday

This email is the property of ECS Technology Ltd.
This company is registered in Scotland with company number 212513.
VAT registered GB 761 7456 12
http://www.ecs-tech.com/