Rsync won't be quiet

Patrick Nolan Patrick.Nolan at stanford.edu
Wed May 7 01:27:27 GMT 2008

I'm using rsync to mirror a big CVS repository.  It's version 3.0.2
at both ends.  Cron runs rsync every 12 minutes.  I would like to get
no e-mail from cron if the transfer goes with no errors.  Instead I
get a message every time there is an update, with a line for each file
transfered.

On the server the rsync is initiated with a command like this:
/usr/local/bin/rsync -aqzC --delete --password-file=/etc/rsync.pwd \
/path/to/cvs client.domain::cvsnew > /dev/null

The connection is made with an rsync inet daemon on the client.

I thought the -q option and the redirection to /dev/null would
keep it quiet under normal circumstances.  Apparently not.

There's no rsyncd.conf on the server.  On the client it looks like
this:

log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
[cvsnew]
path = /path/to/cvsnew
comment = CVS repository mirror
read only = no
uid =  www
gid = users
auth users = myuserid
secrets file = /usr/local/etc/rsyncd.secrets
hosts allow = server1.domain server2.domain
hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
transfer logging = yes

Maybe I don't understand "transfer logging".  I believe it makes the
client log its actions in "log file".  The nuisance e-mails are coming
from the server.