taking advantage of filles in folder other than destination folder

rssrik rssrik at yahoo.co.in
Tue May 6 05:00:41 GMT 2008

Thanks again Paul,

I found a solution last night. The following command works,
rsync -az --compare-dest=../20080101/    20080102/
rsync://<REMOTEHOST>/<SHARENAME>/<20080102>/

On adding / to the source directory name, only the contents of that
directory gets created in the target. The workaround is to directly specify
the required Directory Name in the TARGET URL itself.

When using Directory Names without  /, compare-dest does not work.
# This transfers the whole file <compare dest doesnot work>
rsync -az --compare-dest=../20080101   20080102
rsync://<REMOTEHOST>/<SHARENAME>/

# This compares the file but the directory 20080102 is not created in TARGET
rsync -az --compare-dest=../20080101   20080102
rsync://<REMOTEHOST>/<SHARENAME>/

One more request, is there any document which explains the syntax of rsync
and its params in detail. It could be more useful, If you link me to one
<with man pages I couldnt get the syntax correctly>.

Paul ji, thanks again for your most valuable time,
rssrik