Bad habits

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Mar 20 12:05:40 GMT 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Thu 20 Mar 2008, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > I subscribe to this mailing list. Why send me a duplicate copy? I get
> > > more than enough email thank you...
> >
> > most mailing lists detect such duplicates automatically and dont send out
> > in such cases
>
> The mailing list can hardly detect that you've received another copy
> directly...

for all practical intents and purposes, yes it can.  it gets the e-mail with
the TO/CC list and knows not to resend to people who are subscribed to the
mailing list and are already listed in those fields.

> > > Personally I like mailing list correspondence kept to the list.
> >
> > you're assuming everyone knows the mailing list policy and assumes
> > everyone is subscribed to the list and receiving replies ... often times
> > lists are flexible and dont require people to be actively receiving mails
>
> This list requires you to be subscribed, otherwise you can't post.

you're the mailing list admin ?  you know the non-subscribed policy ?  is it
automatically moderated ?  out right rejected ?

> Hence it doesn't make much sense to cc directly; respond to the mailing
> list and the response should reach the persons concerned.

which gets back to the point of expecting people to be fully aware of the
mailing list policy.  many contributors are subscribed to many mailing lists
which may all have different policies.  dropping the TO/CC lists on *this*
mailing list may be ok (assuming that non-subscribers get automatically
dropped and such postings will not get moderated through), but may not be ok
on many others.

> Actually I don't mind too much getting CC's, I just delete those
> directly when I find a response to this list in my normal inbox.
> It's just unfortunate if someone just replies to me and not to the list

i havent noticed a problem myself ... but i employ sane filtering

> I find those people who "protect" their mailbox with a
> challenge-response system and subsribe to mailing lists a far bigger
> irritation. Luckily hasn't happened on this list yet AFAIR.

indeed.  those people should get shot.
-mike