Bad habits

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Thu Mar 20 11:54:12 GMT 2008

On Thu 20 Mar 2008, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> > I subscribe to this mailing list. Why send me a duplicate copy? I get more
> > than enough email thank you...
>
> most mailing lists detect such duplicates automatically and dont send out in
> such cases

The mailing list can hardly detect that you've received another copy
directly...

> > Personally I like mailing list correspondence kept to the list.
>
> you're assuming everyone knows the mailing list policy and assumes everyone is
> subscribed to the list and receiving replies ... often times lists are
> flexible and dont require people to be actively receiving mails

This list requires you to be subscribed, otherwise you can't post.
Hence it doesn't make much sense to cc directly; respond to the mailing
list and the response should reach the persons concerned.

Actually I don't mind too much getting CC's, I just delete those
directly when I find a response to this list in my normal inbox.
It's just unfortunate if someone just replies to me and not to the list
:-/  Then again, those people should just reply to the mailing list.

I find those people who "protect" their mailbox with a
challenge-response system and subsribe to mailing lists a far bigger
irritation. Luckily hasn't happened on this list yet AFAIR.

Paul