static compile of rsync

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Tue Mar 18 18:38:07 GMT 2008

On Tue 18 Mar 2008, Lopez David E wrote:

> I've looked at the last 6 months on the list and did
> not find any reference on how to static compile of
> rsync. I looked at the ./configure --help with no luck.
>
> I'm on solaris 2.8 using gcc 4.1.1. when I run thru the
> process (./configure; make; make install) and run
> ldd rsync, I get a list of 10 or so libxxx.so.n. I'm
> compiling rsync-3.0.0.

You'll have to supply -static as an additional CC flag.
Probably this is possible by calling configure with CC=-static appended
to your list of options (if any).

> I need to distribute the rsync pgm to 25 hosts scattered
> around the globe. do not want any dependencies.

Be aware that at least when using glibc, a number of things are always
dynamic, e.g the nsswitch stuff (for host lookups etc.)
If the targets are linux systems, then the safest way is to build
appropriate packages...

Paul Slootman