supporting HFS+ attributes and forks on a Linux rsync server?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Jun 20 21:10:43 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 10:32 -0700, David Feldman wrote:
> > You won't be able to preserve file flags and creation times since Linux
> > doesn't have them.  On the other hand, rsync 3.0.2 with -X will preserve
> > getxattr-style extended attributes (including resource forks, which Mac
> > OS 10.4+ exposes as extended attributes); no patches are needed.
>
> Thanks. Just to make sure I understand: I can compile a stock rsync
> 3.0.2 on the Linux box - no patches at all - and it will preserve all
> the Mac-specific data with -X, except for file flags and creation times?
> Is that correct?

Not really.  -X preserves extended attributes via the getxattr/setxattr
interface and does not cater specifically to the Mac.  However, the Mac
filesystem exposes some kinds of Mac metadata as extended attributes, so
-X will preserve these.  I know that resource forks are preserved this
way, but more esoteric pieces of Mac metadata might not be.  Your best
bet is to do a test and see if the metadata you need is preserved.

> Also: what are file flags? Stuff like access control and locked?
> Anything else?

I know they include the Finder "Locked" flag.  They may include other
things, but I'm pretty sure they don't include Mac ACLs.

You may be able to get better information from a Mac person.  (I don't
have a Mac.)

Matt