'Invalid cross-device link' on GNU/Linux

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Jun 20 15:53:09 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 09:16 -0500, Ryan Rodriguez wrote:
> I am running out of space on my compact flash card and want to have
> rsync use the "--delete-after --delay-updates --partial-dir=/tmpfs"
> which is mounted as tmpfs.   Once the renaming part of the rsync
> starts I get "Invalid cross-device link (18)" errors.

When you use --delay-updates, rsync renames from the --partial-dir to
the destination, so they must be on the same filesystem.  This is
mentioned as item (2) in the man page description of --delay-updates.

If you are running out of space, you certainly shouldn't be using
--delay-updates, and I don't see why you would want the other options
either.  The way to avoid needing space for a temporary file is to
specify --inplace or --temp-dir=/tmpfs, not --partial-dir/tmpfs.  Also,
consider --delete-before instead of --delete-after.

Matt