delete-delay vs. delete-after in 3.0.2 (and possible bug)

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jun 10 15:25:32 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 04:41:42PM +0200, Michal Soltys wrote:
> rsync -aHx --delete-delay --filter="dir-merge, .rf" /src/ /dst/
> ...testfile will be removed, unless .rf (with above rules) already exists
> on the receiving side.

Yeah, that is how it currently works.  The --delete-delay option delays
the deletions that are found as each directory begins its processing, so
it is like using --delete-during with the removals being delayed to the
end.  I have considered make it do the delete scan at the end of each
dir's processing, but when I last looked at it there was a reason why I
didn't do that (which had to do with complications of getting the
per-dir rules set right for both the on-going copying, and a late delete
scan).  I don't think this is likely to change any time soon, but it
would be nice to have a way of doing something like early per-dir filter
copying or something.