delete-delay vs. delete-after in 3.0.2 (and possible bug)

Michal Soltys soltys at ziu.info
Tue Jun 10 14:41:42 GMT 2008

Hello

I've noticed today, that --delete-delay introduced in 3.0.2 is not
functionally equivalent of --delete-after (I was under impression it
should work this way).

Looking at following example:

/src
/src/testfile
/src/.rf

/dst
/dst/testfile

.rf consists of following lines:

S, .rf
H, *
P, testfile

rsync -aHx --delete-after --filter="dir-merge, .rf" /src/ /dst/

...will execute properly - which means that already existing testfile in
/dst will not be removed.

But if I execute:

rsync -aHx --delete-delay --filter="dir-merge, .rf" /src/ /dst/

...testfile will be removed, unless .rf (with above rules) already
exists on the receiving side.

Is this how it should be ? I was under impression, that --delete-delay
gave functionality of --delete-after, when the chosen algorithm was that
of --delete-during.

Cheers