how to know the detail about a partial transfer?

Ming Zhang blackmagic02881 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 02:50:11 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 21:25 -0500, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 20:56 -0500, Ming Zhang wrote:
> > > Not easily, since the error messages indicating different kinds of
> > > failure for a given file don't follow a standard pattern.  Some
> > > approaches:
> >
> > is it possible to change those error messages into a standard pattern?
>
> Yes, it would be possible, but it would require going through and
> reformatting each of the 77 FERROR_XFER messages individually and would
> make a few of them less readable (e.g., "link A => B failed" would
> become "B: link from A failed").  Another option would be to print an
> additional "failed to propagate B" message after a failure of any kind
> on file B, and your script could just match those messages.

additional messages could be better in this case.

> > i am trying to do 1 now and think 3 is better. but since rsync daemon
> > know which file(s) are not transferred, can rsync daemon pass these
> > information back to rsync client and print it out?
>
> It's not clear to me what you are proposing.  First, are you referring
> to a push or a pull?

push from rsync client to rsync daemon. one example is in receiver.c
line 652, rsync daemon try to open/create a file but failed, so rsync
daemon here know exact which file it is working on, so if rsync daemon
can pass this info back to rsync client, rsync client can save this to a
file.

--
Ming Zhang

@#$%^ purging memory... (*!%