backup via an intermediate drive

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Mon Feb 11 23:03:46 GMT 2008

On 11.02.2008 21:43, Cavan Fyans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a backup server running for a media company i work with that's
> being moved offsite to a server house.  Obviously I still want to run
> the regular backups but the problem is that the outgoing connection from
> the companies studio can not handle the amount of data that needs to be
> transferred.  Due to this the server housing company has provided a
> service through which they will transport the data to be backed up in
> person, on a mobile drive.
>
> The question is, can I run the same Rsync service but transfer the
> updated/changed files from the studio onto the backup server via the
> intermediate drive?

I guess the capacity of the transport drive is way lower than the whole
storage needed?

Then the option is:
--write-batch

But as far as i understand it, you need a second (in this case local)
rsync-target that MUST be in sync with the remote server, before doing
the batch, so you can create the batch-file against it. Then you
transport the batch-file and last but not least apply it to the target
server.

Then comes the next day and you are back at square 1. :-)

But if you can tell more about the data and how it changes, there maybe
better(tm) ways to transfer them, especially when you have a "disaster"
sync event.

Bis denn