答复: [Pilot]Recover to a different folder failed! Any way out of the problem?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Dec 29 01:00:51 GMT 2008

[This may be too late to be useful, but I'll answer anyway for future
reference.]

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 14:55 +0800, Daniel wrote:
> I have backup local data every 7 days. Recently, I found that some of local
> files are infected with virus. Can I use some operation to restore back to 7
> days ago?

If you have used a separate --backup-dir on each rsync run since the
infection (as in your command quoted below), then the state before the
infection can be reconstructed by "overlaying" the backup dirs, from the
one just before the infection on the "top" (highest priority) to the
newest followed by the main destination dir on the "bottom" (lowest
priority).  To restore such an overlaid sequence, just run rsync,
listing all the dirs as sources in order of decreasing priority.

Note that backup dirs don't represent file creations, so you may be left
with extra files that didn't exist in the state you are restoring.  If
you will often need to restore states other than the latest, consider
using a tool such as rsnapshot or rdiff-backup.

--
Matt