rsync and MD5

David de Lama david.delama at web.de
Tue Dec 16 13:33:34 GMT 2008

Hi all!

I've got a question about rsync using the MD5 algorithm.

I know that rsync makes blocks of a file and then compares the checksums of each block.
If the checksum is unequal the block is tranfered.
Otherwise it could be that the checksum is the same but the block is different.
Therefor rsync uses a 128 BIT MD5 algorithm.

Now, at what filesize is it better to check the whole file with MD5 and when its faster just to copy the file?
Is there a formula, table or diagram which it shows? (I think it depends on the Hardware!)
Unfortunately I didn't find anything.

Thanks a lot.

Spanockel