how to get details of rsync source code?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Dec 3 13:25:04 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 17:49 +0530, Jignesh Shah wrote:
> I am new to rsync. I learnt the rsync algorithm and functionalities.
> It seems great. I want to dive into source code of rsync now. Could
> anyone suggest how should I proceed to understand the code. Is there
> any documentation about source code available?

See the second part of:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2006-November/016819.html

> Basically I want to find out the execution path of complete client and
> server program. currently I am not able to separate client and server
> programs itself.

The client and the server have different startup code (see start_client
and start_server), but after that it isn't possible to make a
separation.  The code for the sender can be run by either client or
server depending on which way the copy is going; likewise for the
receiver and generator code.  When the behavior does need to differ, the
code checks am_server.

Matt