Rsync Auto Resume

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Aug 13 22:09:10 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 13:28 -0500, Shane Uys wrote:
> I am trying to copy a 5GB file over the internet with two Win2003
> servers. The internet on ServerA occasionally drops the connection and
> rsync terminates with error “connection reset by peer”.  Is there a
> way to keep alive, extend timeout or auto resume transfer? I tried
> using the --partial but it just starts over with another partial.

--partial does allow the receiver to use the already transmitted data in
the delta-transfer algorithm on the next run, avoiding the need to send
it over the network again, but I guess the disk I/O of rewriting that
data to the new temporary file is the problem.  Try --partial --append;
the --append option tells rsync to make the (correct) assumption that
the destination file left by --partial matches the beginning of the
source file and just append to the existing file.

Matt