memory usage in rsync 3.0.3 -- how much RAM should I have to transfer 13 million files?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Tue Aug 12 19:49:24 GMT 2008

Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:

> I've upgraded from rsync 2.6.9 to 3.0.3 on both ends, but memory usage
> is still too high.
Why should rsync 3's memory usage depend on the number of files? Does it
keep files it already knows should not be transferred in memory?

If not, then maybe we should hold back rsync's very useful, very speed
productive, read ahead of the file list. If we see that the "todo list"
piles up, maybe we should hold of the continued scan until the back log
gets smaller.

Yes, I know, it's the typical someone sitting on the fence, hardly ever
doing anything useful for the project, and dispensing "invaluable"
advice. Fact is, I need this. If Wayne doesn't do it, I will get around
to it eventually. The problem is that the key word here is "eventually".

Shachar