memory usage in rsync 3.0.3 -- how much RAM should I have to transfer 13 million files?

Aleksey Tsalolikhin atsaloli.tech at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 18:46:11 GMT 2008

Hi.  I am trying to recursively rsync a directory containing  13 million files.

Right now this is killing my server, in terms of memory usage.

I've upgraded from rsync 2.6.9 to 3.0.3 on both ends, but memory usage
is still too high.   I killed the rsync process when it reached 256 MB
in size.

I only have 1 GB of RAM in this server.

We've planned an outage to upgrade it to 3 GB, but will that be enough?

How much memory will rsync use?   I didn't specificy any of the
switches that disable incremental recursion.

Thanks,
Aleksey