Problems connecting to remote rsync daemon

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Aug 11 20:57:43 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 13:44 -0700, Tamara Temple wrote:
> Ok, but what should be *in* the rsyncd.conf file. the man page isn't
> at all clear what should be included.

See the rsyncd.conf(5) man page for details and examples:

http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsyncd.conf.html

> I just want to do simple rsync's
> of the sort shown in the command i gave. I don't know what it means to
> set up "modules".

Maybe you would prefer to use rsync over ssh, like this:

rsync -avr /Volumes/Music/Pictures/ tamara at server:Pictures/

That command will ssh to user "tamara" on "server" and push files to
Pictures/ in that user's home directory.  No daemon is involved.

Matt