Problems connecting to remote rsync daemon

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Aug 11 13:02:31 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 21:20 -0700, Tamara Temple wrote:
> I set up rsync in inetd.conf to respond on request. When I give a
> remote request to the machine, I get the following error:
>
> paladin:~ tamara$ rsync -avr /Volumes/Music/Pictures/ rsync://
> tamara at server/Pictures/
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /
> SourceCache/rsync/rsync-35.2/rsync/io.c(452) [sender=2.6.9]
> paladin:~ tamara$

> there is no rsyncd.conf file.

That would be the problem.  An rsync daemon needs a configuration file;
it will look for the file at /etc/rsyncd.conf unless you specify a
different path with a --config option in the command inetd is running.

In general, you should check the server's syslog (/var/log/messages) or
any "log file" you specified in rsyncd.conf for error messages related
to the daemon.  Most likely, there is a message in the syslog now
telling you that the daemon failed to open /etc/rsyncd.conf .

Matt